Sunday, February 19, 2017

Sunday Stamps - the eastern hemisphere

Since the Greenwich meridian runs through London, technically most of Europe is in the eastern hemisphere, however I always associate the east with countries closer to the pacific ocean.

William sent me this fascinating stamped piece of cardboard from the Republic of China, aka Taiwan.






And on the other side was this lovely stamp issued in 2016 featuring the coral Anella mollis. 



For more stamps from the Eastern hemisphere, check the links at Sunday Stamps.

10 comments:

  1. The village where I used to live in Spain (the last one),was crossed by the the Greenwich meridian. We had a sign in the road indicating that. Our house was in the west part. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It does, although I think it is quite tough in reality.

      Delete
  3. Yes I'm with your thoughts in the first paragraph despite having stood on the meridian line at the Greenwich observatory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corals are amazing creatures.
    I also think of Europe as in the western hemisphere and Asia as in the eastern. Maybe it also has to do with living in an area that is so inclusively western and northern hemisphere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus our language where Western is used to refer to European/American culture.

      Delete
  5. Until now I still can't fathom the fact that corals are animals. Nice stamp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - they look so plant-like it is hard to believe. So that fish I saw munching on coral is really a carnivore!

      Delete