Sunday, December 20, 2015

Camels on Sunday Stamps

Today's Sunday Stamps theme is religion on Christmas stamps.

My favorite from USPS in recent years is the Christmas Magi stamp. How can you not enjoy seeing camels on stamps? And the colors are great. 



This stamp is the second in a series (two so far - maybe there'll be a third in 2016). Here's the first - the Holy Family Christmas stamp, issued in 2012 and reissued in 2013.




Not that I can use them, I do like the impressionist art of Royal Mail's Christmas stamps this year, particularly the camel on the £1.


And can I just add this creepiest of the creepy baby Jesus paintings on a stamp where he seems to be crushing a small bird in his hand? Very strange. I wonder what the symbolism is there....



12 comments:

  1. Good eye in spotting that 'bird in the hand'!
    I find most Baby Jesuses to be odd looking, in that they often look much older - and bigger! -than a new born infant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This baby is quite large. I am also a bit worried about the way he is reaching out for his mother's neck...

      Delete
  2. I'd choose the camel stamps every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the atmospheric skies. Yes I'd go with camels too and that giant baby is a bit worrying. The bird is a symbol of the human soul but that is as much as I know because different species can add another layer of symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that symbolism. Maybe baby J is protecting it here?

      Delete
  4. I associate camels to Christmas because of the Magi. The night of the 5th we're supposed to let them something to eat in the balcony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard about that tradition. If I did that, the squirrels would eat it, and they are fat enough already!

      Delete
    2. No, the squirrels don't dare, because the Three Wise Men are magic ;-)

      I've just received the stmap with the camel from the UK, hooray!

      Delete
    3. Very nice, I keep on getting the 1.33 rather than the 1.00.

      Delete