Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Sunday Stamps on Tuesday - Flags

A bit late for last Sunday Stamps' theme of flags and maps. Click the link for more stamps with this theme.

The flag of Ohio is the only non-rectangular state flag - bonus points for knowing what the shape is called without resorting to Wikipedia.

The Ohio flag stamp is from a set of 60 that covered all the flags of the states, DC, and the protectorates of the USA, plus 4 generic stamps featuring the flag, inspired by lines from the national anthem.

Apparently it has been legislated that there is always one or more stamps featuring the US flag, which is why there are so many versions of first class stamps featuring the stars and stripes. I like this abstract version, however it was solidly blasted as one of the least necessary issues from last year.

The stamps are featured on envelope 296 to Nikki in Canada.


6 comments:

  1. Both stamps are nice designs, because of their non-straightness!
    I don't know the shape's name, but it reminds me of sign flags used on ships!?..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is based on a naval flag, which is a bit odd since Ohio's only non-land border is a stretch along Lake Erie.

      Delete
  2. Me neither, I don't know the name of these flags.
    I have received the Texas' flag on TFP envelope today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even thought about that stamp for the flag theme.

      Delete
  3. I'm a bit late in commenting on your flag. Is it a swallowtail?
    This makes me want to look up the other state flags, to see how many I'm familiar with. (my guess is not that many!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swallowtail is one way to describe it. The official shape is a burgee, and another word with similar meaning is guidon, although there the context is military, I think.

      I am not familiar with any of the state flags.

      Delete